Sunset in PV

Sunset in PV

Sunday, October 31, 2010

October 26 - 31, 2010 - "Happy Halloween"

Happy Halloween! And it was just that, early this morning. CC said she heard something outside the rig, and convinced me that if I went out to see what it was, that upon my return, she would reward(?) me. (ALL the guys know what I’m talking about, the gals as well; they just don’t like to admit to it.) Anyway, as I exited the rig, armed with my walking stick and camera, I heard a noise behind me, and as I quickly turned, unknowing to me, the camera activated. After that, things are a little fuzzy. All I can tell you it was a helluva tussle. As I ran back into the rig, CC asked, “What was it?”. To which I replied, “I’m not exactly sure, but the flash went off on the camera right before all hell broke loose.” To say we were both a little overwhelmed after seeing the picture would be an understatement.

Last week we left Childress, in route to Abilene; sightseeing in the area included Fort Phantom Hill, and the Texas Frontier Museum. Texas Frontier is an interactive museum, and was one of the most informative, enjoyable visit to any museum thus far; very well done. It told the story of how and why Texas was settled by the white man, and the implications to the natives.



Leaving Abilene and the grounds covered by the Texas state flower (sand burrs) behind us, we moved southward through hill country, and over nighted right next to the Llano River. Ahhhh, this is why we decided to live this lifestyle. Upon arrival, I had my customary “Travel Day Martini”, and relaxed next to the river, as CC joined me with her “Mexican Kool-Aid”; 76 degrees, a slight breeze, the sound of gently flowing waters; PERFECTO!


The next morning we awoke to 30 degrees. We’re outta here. I just cannot live by anything but “The 7 Second Rule”, so it was south bound to San Antonio.

We will close out the month here in sunny San Antonio, TX, and no visit here would be complete without seeing, you guessed it; The Alamo and The Riverwalk. We did those yesterday. Big mistake; should have waited until Monday or Tuesday as it was VERY crowded, and for those of you that know me, know I don’t do crowds.

I have mixed emotions after visiting The Alamo; one of which will be to again watch CC’s fav, John Wayne in “The Alamo”. Secondly, the President of Mexico, Santa Ana, was trying to limit immigration into Texas by the whites, and wanted to send them a warning that his laws would not be violated. Now I’m no politician, rather more of an observer, but it would seem to me if it worked for Santa Anna, the reciprocal would work for the US today. As they say, history repeats itself!




We also visited another of the missions here, Concepcion.  One of the most attractive of the San Antonio missions, the church at Concepcion looks essentially as it did more than 200 years ago, when it stood at the center of local religious activity. The mission was well known for its religious celebrations. Not visible today are the colorful geometric designs that originally covered the exterior surface of the mission. Inside, however, are original paintings of religious symbols and architectural designs.


That closes our adventures for October. Next month (+/-) will be spent in Weslaco, TX. Take care and stay well……………..

No comments:

Post a Comment