Sunset in PV

Sunset in PV

Monday, August 13, 2012

August 8 - 12, 2012 "Fishin' in Cascade, MT"

Find more about Weather in Cascade, MT
We got an early start on our journey from Essex to Cascade, leaving around 8:30 am. Normally we hit the road around 10 am, but Carl started tearing down and getting ready to go before the sun came up. The 200 mile trek was an easy one as far as traffic was concerned, but MT-89 had a few stretches of narrow, winding pavement with no shoulders, and that makes driving this rig challenging; add a 25 MPH side wind and the task becomes daunting.

Arriving at Prewett Creek RV Park shortly after 2 pm, we were given a pull-thru site, but the rig wouldn’t level due to excess slope, so we asked if we could reverse our direction, which the owner OK’d, and we were then quickly level and settled into our new home for the week. (As usual, click on any image to enlarge.)

The following morning Carl wanted to visit the C. M. Russell Museum in Great Falls, about 35 miles north. Since none of us had any better ideas, off we went. Carl had firsthand knowledge of Russell, since he majored in Art History at MFU back when Russell was still alive, coupled with the fact they were both from the St. Louis area.  

Charles Marion Russell (March 19, 1864 – October 24, 1926), also known as C. M. Russell, Charlie Russell, and "Kid" Russell, was an artist of the Old American West. Russell created more than 2,000 paintings of cowboys, Indians, and landscapes set in the Western United States and in Alberta, Canada, in addition to bronze sculptures. Known as 'the cowboy artist', Russell was also a storyteller and author. The C. M. Russell Museum Complex located in Great Falls, Montana houses more than 2,000 Russell artworks, personal objects, and artifacts.

Russell's mural titled Lewis and Clark Meeting the Flathead Indians hangs in the state capitol building in Helena, Montana. Russell's 1918 painting Piegans sold for $5.6 million dollars at a 2005 auction.

We have visited many museums since our journey began 27 months ago, and it still mystifies me why some museums will not let you take photos inside, but that is a fact with this one. In fact, they employed 4 Gestapo in the section where Russell’s watercolors were displayed. I saw one lady try and take a picture using her cell phone, and she was quickly reprimanded and asked to delete the photo or she would be escorted off of the premises. Come on now, really? This is Montana where most people still carry guns. I just don’t get it. (OK, I’m done with my rant; getting down off my soapbox.)

After the museum, it was time for lunch, and CC decided on Pizza Hut. After lunch, Carl wanted to get his truck washed. From there we ventured to an ATM, Wal-Mart, Albertson’s and Libations. By the time we got back home it was Happy Hour. As we sat in the shade, sipping our beverages, we were visited by several “locals”.

The following day we just decided to tour the area along the Missouri River, which happens to be right across Old Hwy 91, about 100 yards from our campsite. Actually Carl wanted to scout for some spots to fly fish from the bank. On our journey up-river we found several he thought to be ideal. By the time we made it to Wolf Creek, it was time for lunch. I could tell CC was getting “itchy fingers” by the way she was acting, so lo and behold we stumbled across one location that filled all our needs.

The answer is no, CC wasn’t lucky but, I think her ailment is cured pacified, at least for now. We left Wolf Creek and headed north, downstream. (Sounds funny to me; we usually think of downstream to be south.) Nearly an hour later we were again home, and just by chance it was, altogether now, Happy Hour; ‘cause we are!

The next morning, Carl was up early as he had hired a guide to fly fish the Missouri River. He returned shortly after 1:30 pm, with no fish, but plenty of tall tales of the one that got away. J.P., the guide, provided these two pictures as evidence that he did indeed catch at least two nice trout; one Brown and one Rainbow.

It seems Montana has a law that prohibits anglers from keeping fish, IF they were caught while using a guide. If you want to keep fish here, you either fish from the bank or boat WITHOUT a guide. Carl has now fished almost every day, and we are still awaiting a fish fry. Guess that’s why they call it “fishing”, and not “catching”. All kidding aside, on his first outing with J.P. Carl said he boated 15, and on his second, he boated 20 and hooked another 25 that he failed to boat. Really??? 

We’ll be here for another day, and then on to Bozeman for an overnighter, before getting to Cody, WY on Wednesday for a few days to visit Yellowstone NP. Thanks for stopping by; until next time, take care and stay well……………….

No comments:

Post a Comment