Sunset in PV

Sunset in PV

Thursday, July 29, 2010

June 2010 - "Colorado to Texas"

June 1 -15

We are still on private property 30 miles SE of Cherry Creek State Park. CC and I both continue to work, and CC’s last day will be June 18. We have had fabulous “going away” parties with close friends. To say we will miss them is an understatement. We know this will be one of the hardest parts of full timing, and we will miss you all. Colorado is absolutely wonderful during the Spring, Summer and Fall, and we will be back again and again to reacquaint, and to swap lies and laughter.


June 16-21

We are back at Cherry Creek State Park. My boss came in and took us to Flemings for dinner. Also accompanying us were close friends and business associates. I was expecting nothing for my 29+ years of service to my employer, and that’s exactly what I got. A gold watch would have been nice. Heck, a $50 gift certificate would have been a plus. As they say, hindsight is 20/20, but to think one works 29+ years for a company and all they get is a steak dinner. What’s up with that? And to think I have agreed to stay working until July 30. Now who’s the dumb ass? Where’s the mirror?
June 22
We departed Cherry Creek in route to Childress, TX to establish ourselves as “official Texans”. CC’s daughter, Letta, and her husband Billy reside there, (along with CC’s grandson, Lane) and all agreed that this would make a good permanent address for our roving lifestyle. It is only 550 miles to Childress, and we have made it in one day before, but what’s the hurry? We drove as far as Lamar, CO and checked into Country Acres RV Park. By far NOT a destination resort, but OK for an overnight stop.

June 23-25

Billy (CC’s son in law), met us early to walk us through the process of becoming Texans. First, we needed to have the rig weighed. I was somewhat nervous as I pulled onto the scale. I kept thinking, please be under, please be under (weight). The green light came on and I slowly pulled off the scale. Billy and CC jumped in and Billy said, “How much do you think it weighed?” My only comment was, “hopefully under.” It was by 1,400 pounds. Wow, as I thought to myself, we dodged the bullet. OK, step one complete, now step two; vehicle inspections. After a few “adjustments” we passed. Step 3, head to the court house to register the vehicles. The lady helping us, looked up from her computer and said, “Do you have any idea of how much this is going to cost?” (I did, but from the inflection in her voice, I could tell she didn’t, until the total popped up on her computer screen.) She thought it to be a small fortune, I thought of it as about half what it would have been in Colorado, and so I guess it was a win, win, for both of us. Step 4; we made our way to the drivers license office, and things got interesting. We were told we needed ORIGINALS of our birth certificate and social security cards, along with proof of insurance. Yes we had them, but finding them might take some time, after all, we moved out of 2,400 sq. ft. into 340, and things were packed in every nook and cranny we could find. The next day we returned to apply for Texas driver license’s with the required documentation, and after much ado, received our temporaries. We were told our permanent ones would be mailed to us in 4 to 6 weeks. So now, we are “Official Texans”. Thanks Billy for all your help, because without it, we might have still been scratching our heads and wondering what to do next.
June 26-28
Depart Childress in route to Dallas to see long time friends, Rodney and Dena. Rodney and I met in First or Second Grade (depending on who you ask), and continued our education, culminating at OSU. Every once in a while people confuse us as brothers, due to the strong Irish resemblance. He and Dena were married exactly one week before CC and I were. Let’s see, what year was that? Oh yea, right after they invented dirt. We had a wonderful time, lounging in the pool, and swapping stories, some(?) of which Rodney made up as he went along.

June 29-30

Depart Dallas in route to Choctaw, OK. Our plans are to clean and prepare my Mom’s house to be sold. At this point in time, I thought 2 weeks would be sufficient. What was I thinking?

No comments:

Post a Comment